The Friends of the Libraries support the University of Minnesota Libraries in many ways, always aiming to help the Libraries realize their vision of providing intellectual leadership and extraordinary information experiences. A key component of an outstanding library is outstanding staff. Each year, the Friends sponsor staff development grants and outstanding library student employee awards.
2017 Staff Development Grant Award
Sponsored by the Friends of the Libraries
Think about that idea you’ve had mulling around in the back of your mind – perhaps it’s a conference you’ve heard about, a workshop that would complement the project you’re working on, or some research you’d like to do.
- The Friends are looking to provide financial support to two Libraries staff members – $1,000 each – who are interested in expanding their professional development in a way that both enhances their expertise and contributes to making the Libraries an even better place.
- We welcome proposals that demonstrate a significant opportunity for professional enrichment but which fall outside general funding opportunities from the Libraries. The professional development activity must be completed between July 1, 2017, and June 30, 2018.
Eligibility: Any Libraries staff member is eligible who works three-quarters time (75% appointment) or more in one of the following employment categories: faculty, academic professional, civil service, or bargaining unit.
- Proposal Letter: Prepare a proposal letter (two pages or less) addressed to Edie French and Jake Beard, Co-Chairs, Friends of the Libraries Awards Committee. The letter should include a one-paragraph answer to each of these questions:
- What do you propose to do?
- How will the professional development activity benefit you?
- How will it benefit the Libraries?
- How do you propose to share what you will learn?
- Will this grant cover the cost of the activity? Please list the approximate cost of the activity and the source(s) of additional funding.
- Recommendation Letter: Obtain and attach a letter of recommendation from your supervisor endorsing your proposed activity.
- Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m. on Monday, March 6, 2017
Send your proposal and letter of recommendation to:
Lanaya Stangret • Friends of the Libraries • 499 Wilson Library • email@example.com
- Selection: Two awards of $1,000 each will be made by the Friends of the Libraries Awards Committee and notification of the recipients will be made by Friday, April 14, 2017.
The recipients will be honored at the Friends of the Libraries Annual Celebration on Tuesday, May 9, 2017. All recipients will be invited to attend as guests of the Friends.
2017 Outstanding Library Student Employee Award
Sponsored by the Friends of the Libraries
Think about everything our student employees do for us – big or small, their contributions make a significant impact on our ability to run smoothly and provide the best services possible.
Nominations are now being accepted to honor our outstanding student employees with a:
>> $250 award! <<
- The Friends of the Libraries wish to recognize two student employees who:
- Provide continuous excellence of job performance (regular and consistent demonstration of superior performance in all job responsibilities).
- Surpass regular job responsibilities and make unique contributions, such as exceptional actions and taking strong initiative.
Eligibility: All student employees of the Libraries who have passed probation (260 consecutive hours in a position) are eligible, regardless of position, level of responsibility, or size of unit. The student needs to be an employee at the time of nomination.
Nomination Process: Any staff member of the Libraries, regardless of employment category, may submit a nomination.
- Nomination Letter: Prepare a one-page nomination letter addressed to Edie French and Jake Beard, Co-Chairs, Friends of the Libraries Awards Committee, that outlines:
- What is the nominee’s job? (Title and brief job description.)
- What is outstanding about the nominee’s job performance and how has it benefited the department? Provide specific examples.
- What distinguishes this student employee from others?
- Nomination Deadline: 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Send your nomination to:
Lanaya Stangret • Friends of the Libraries • 499 Wilson Library firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selection: The Friends of the Libraries Awards Committee will make a selection of two student employees who will each receive a $250 award, and notification of the recipients will be made by Friday, April 14, 2017.
The recipients will be honored and presented with a certificate of excellence at the Friends of the Libraries Annual Celebration on Tuesday, May 9, 2017. All recipients will be invited to attend as guests of the Friends.
Student Photo Caption Contest
Sponsored by the Friends of the University Libraries
Submit your clever caption of 250 characters or fewer that describes one of our historic images from the University Archives and you’ll be entered into our 2017 Student Photo Caption Contest!
Judges from the Friends of the Libraries Board of Directors will choose 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.
1st place: $99 Visa gift card
2nd place: $75 Visa gift card
3rd place: $50 Visa gift card
Contest Entry Information
Beginning March 1, 2017, three historic images from University Archives will be posted to the Libraries’ Facebook and Twitter accounts, as well as on digital signs. Students may submit an entry to the online form at z.umn.edu/caption for each historic image. The contest is open to any current University of Minnesota student. Contestants may submit one entry per archival image but are eligible to win only one of the top three prizes. Questions? Please contact us at mailto:email@example.com.
Deadline for Submission
Friday, April 7, 2017, 4 p.m.
- Eligibility: All currently enrolled University of Minnesota students are eligible to enter the contest.
- Captions: Each student may submit up to three entries, one per archival image. They must complete the online submission form for each entry.
- Judging and Prizes: A panel of judges from the Friends of the Libraries Board of Directors will select the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners based on the cleverness and humor of each entry. Winners will be notified by email by April 17, 2017 and attendance will be required at the Friends of the University of Minnesota Libraries annual celebration on Tuesday evening, May 9, 2017 in order to receive the prize.
- Winning Entries: Winning entries will be on display at the Friends of the University of Minnesota Libraries annual celebration on Tuesday, May 9, 2017.
- Deadline: The deadline for all submissions is Friday, April 7, 2017, 4 p.m. To be eligible for the prizes, all required fields on the online form must be completed.