Library staff recall a job well done

Linda: Focusing on grants

By November 23, 2020September 16th, 2023No Comments
Linda Greve

Linda Greve

My start in the Libraries was the result of Wendy Lougee’s concern that the Libraries needed a significant focus on grants. I had applied for a different job (which I didn’t get) but they kept my resume on file and called me in for a meeting. The rest is history.

Since I arrived in 2008, the campus and Libraries haven’t changed to a great degree. Wilson Library saw a first-floor renovation. But, the greatest major change and one that affected me significantly was the move of the Rare Book Library — which was literally next door to my office — to the Elmer L. Andersen Library. Oh, how I missed living with those treasures!

I will miss the daily contact with colleagues, the thrill of witnessing projects from inception to successful completion, and the satisfaction of contributing in some small way to the greater good.

When I started at the Libraries, there was no coordinated effort to seek grant funding. As I leave, the Libraries has received nearly $5 million in funded proposals. While the Principal Investigators of these proposals deserve 99.5% of the credit, I reserve .5% for myself. It has been a real honor to work with these brilliant people. I am also proud of the growth of Friends of the Libraries not just in sheer numbers but, more importantly, in the increasing engagement of the Board of Directors as active and passionate advocates for the Libraries.

Linda Greve

Linda Greve

As mentioned, the contact with the brilliant staff and our fabulous Friends board members, both current and former, was the favorite part of my job. Whether it was bringing a grant proposal in under the wire, or hosting a successful event, there has been tremendous satisfaction.

In retirement I will be working on a family history, renewing my love of calligraphy, and reading — lots and lots of reading. Of course, I hope soon I can rejoin my friends for long face-to-face lunches and other adventures.

—Linda Greve

markenge

Author markenge

More posts by markenge