- This event has passed.
January 17 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
As part of this year’s #1Lib1Ref campaign, we invite our library colleagues to join us January 17 in an effort to improve Wikipedia.
- Share your knowledge
- Add references to existing pages
- Build new entries, or
- Locate open access versions of sources.
Our working theme will be topics and entries related to underrepresented groups, as those have the greatest need (see further readings, below), but you are welcome to work on anything you’d like to. The Libraries’ Kate Dietrick will be there to help new editors get started, and will share our own best practices document.
Come at any time, but please bring your own device and chargers.
For those planning to attend, please consider creating a Wikipedia editor account before the 17th, due to a limit of new editors able to create new accounts from the same location at one time. Thank you!
When: January 17, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Where: Wilson Research Collaboration Studio, first floor of Wilson Library
Resource list/For further reading
- Critical Digital Praxis in Wikipedia: The Art + Feminism Edit-a-thon, Digital Pedagogy Lab, 1 November 2017
- Black History Matters, So Why is Wikipedia Missing so Much of It?, Fast Company, 29 January 2015
- Wikipedia Editing Resources, Society of American Archivists Women’s Collections Section
- Introduction to Wikipedia for Archivists, Archives Association of Ontario, video from workshop delivered in May 2015
- Best practices for Librarians, Archivists and Cultural Professionals who want to link to collections on Wikipedia