menu
Featured Blog PostHealth Sciences LibrariesNewsWangensteen Library

Old Medicine in the Wangensteen Historical Library of Biology and Medicine

By July 29, 2022September 16th, 2023No Comments

By Emily Ramirez

Hey my name is Emily Ramirez. I go to Longfellow High School. I’m working in the Wangensteen Historical Library of Biology and Medicine  this summer as an intern through the StepUp program.

Through this photo journal I’ll be showing you a little of what I’m working on. I’m working on finding tamper proof Medicine in the Wangensteen Historical Library’s artifact collection. While working on this project, I found an interesting artifact — asthmatic cigarettes.

Image #1: Asthmatic cigarettes

It is funny that they are giving people cigarettes even though they have asthma, which would make your asthma worse.

The description says, “To relieve the distress of asthmatic paroxysms and for similar conditions resulting from hay fever which may produce difficulty breathing.”

One ingredient in these asthmatic cigarettes is deer tongue. And it is interesting that they give you 60 cigarettes for $1.00.

asthmatic cigarettes

Photo credit: Emily Ramirez

More to come next week!

Erinn Aspinall

Author Erinn Aspinall

More posts by Erinn Aspinall

© 2024 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Privacy Statement | Acceptable Use of IT Resources