By Erik Moore
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the final graduating class of the University of Minnesota’s University High School. Several graduates are on campus this week as part of their 50th reunion.
University High School was established at the University of Minnesota by the Board of Regents in 1908. Enrolling students in grades 7-12, the school was a part of the College of Education and served as an on-campus laboratory school, offering a broader educational curriculum than many local high schools. The school had a limited enrollment, keeping class sizes small, but enrollment was open to any student who could demonstrate academic and social excellence. Even though the school had an open enrollment policy, the majority of students at University High were the children of University professors. In 1968, University High School merged with Minneapolis Public School’s Marshall High School. In 1982 Marshall-University High School was closed by the Minneapolis School Board because of budget constraints.
—Erik Moore is the University Archivist and Co-Director of the University Digital Conservancy. To learn more about the University of Minnesota Archives, please visit www.lib.umn.edu/uarchives.