A Matter of FactsFeaturedNews

Understanding the Rohingya crisis

By October 17, 2017September 16th, 2023One Comment
Map_of_Rohingya_people_in_Rakhine_State

Map of Rohingya people in Rakhine State. This file is made available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication.

By Susan Gangl

In less than two months, 500,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled Myanmar and crossed into Bangladesh to escape persecution. The United Nations has called it the world’s fastest developing refugee crisis, and relief agencies are finding it difficult to meet the need for food, water, shelter, and medical care.

The Rohingya have lived for centuries in the majority Buddhist Myanmar and about 1.1 million Rohingya currently live in the Southeast Asian country, in which they have been denied citizenship since 1982.

How and why are they being persecuted? Why aren’t they recognized? What can be done to alleviate this crisis?

This post is intended to provide information on recent news, current research, and reliable information to help you better understand and think critically about these issues.

Freely available news articles

Books at the University of Minnesota Libraries

Government Documents

Freely available online information

University of Minnesota Libraries expertise

The following librarians can provide you assistance in seeking additional source material on this subject:

• Susan Gangl, Librarian, Arts & Humanities
  • Alicia Kubas, Government Publications and Regional Depository Librarian
  • Nancy Herther, Librarian for Sociology, Anthropology, American Indian Studies, American Studies, Asian American Studies & Disability Studies
  • David Faust, Librarian for South Asia and Middle East Studies.
Mark Engebretson

Author Mark Engebretson

More posts by Mark Engebretson

Join the discussion One Comment

• Susan, I am working with ActionAid in Bangladesh on a small project to provide a Dignity Kit- including a change of clothing- to every woman and girl who was raped or sexually assaulted and now resides in a refugee camp. Right now many of these women live in the same clothing they had on when they were raped or sexually assaulted. My project will be called Project Dignity and should be up and going by January 20th, 2018. I am local and hoping you might provide me with local MN contacts who will help publicize my efforts. There will be a kickoff event later this month to try and raise $25 contributions- the cost of a Bangladesh produced Dignity Kit- and I will need help spreading the word. I am doing this as an individual because I want to show that one person can make a difference. Please give me a call or email so we can discuss this and how I can connect to the UMN community. Dr.James Gambone, Graduate Professor of Public Health, Capella University.