By Jon Jeffryes
The University of Minnesota Libraries will provide extended study space (with 24/7 access in multiple locations) and host a variety of fun and creative activities to provide students a short break to reduce stress during Spring 2017 Finals.
Here’s the schedule for extended study availability for the Spring Finals:
- Bio-Medical Library: 24/7 access from Friday, April 28 (7:00 a.m.) – Saturday, May 13 (6:00 p.m.)
- Magrath Library: Extended Study Area open till 2:00 a.m. daily
- Walter Library: 24/7 access from Friday, April 28 (8:00 a.m.) – Saturday, May 13 (6:00 p.m.)
- Wilson Library: 24/7 access from Saturday, May 6 (8:00 a.m.) – Saturday, May 13 (6:00 p.m.)
Make sure to bring your UCard to gain access to overnight hours.
Fuel Up for Finals!
The Libraries are planning a series of stress busting study breaks including snacks and activities for students to “Fuel Up for Finals” as they finish up their spring studies.
“The activities support both their study habits and mental health by providing a break from the stress students experience at the end of the semester,” Kat Gerwig, Library Assistant at Walter Library explains. “Stressbusters provide an opportunity for the Libraries to acknowledge the ramped up anxiety students feel during finals week and demonstrate that we are in this together.”
Kristen Mastel, Outreach and Instruction Librarian at Magrath Library agrees.
“Providing activities and spaces to de-stress for students is an important part in helping students think of their whole self, and all dimensions of wellness; not just the intellectual, but also physical, occupational, emotional, spiritual and social,” Mastel said. “Whether we are providing passive programming such as coloring, to more social and engaging activities with PAWS and button making, it is important to remind students that self care is needed just as much as studying in order to ace their courses.”
Activities and Dates
- Stressbusters: Tuesday, May 2 & Wednesday, May 3
- Chair massage — Tuesday, May 2, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- PAWS — Wednesday, May 3, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Kinetic sand
- Stressbusters: Monday, May 1 – Friday, May 5
- Watercolor, Monday, May 1
- Origami bookmarks: Tuesday, May 2 and Wednesday, May 3 (12:00-2:00 p.m.)
- Button making: Thursday, May 4 and Friday, May 5 (10am-2 p.m.)
- Movies/Shorts & popcorn over the lunch hour (Silent, MST3K, Cat videos): Monday, May 1 – Friday, May 5 in Magrath Library room 2
- Available Monday, May 1 – Friday, May 5 for creative study breaks: giant coloring sheets, tinker toys, kinetic sand
- Stressbusters: Tuesday, May 2 – Wednesday, May 3
- Cookies, snacks, coffee, and earplugs available in the Great Hall (2nd floor) while supplies last.
- Coloring pages, button making, and puzzles for creative study breaks.
- Exam Jam in SMART Commons on Sunday, April 30 (4:00-6:00 p.m.)
- PAWS will be visiting Wilson Library on Thursday, April 27 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Free coffee, button making, and coloring on Tuesday, May 2 and Wednesday, May 3 from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Phil Dudas, Information Services Manager at Wilson Library, describes the value the Libraries staff find in sponsoring these activities for the students:
“Seeing the joy on students faces really makes you appreciate the hard work and dedication they are putting in outside of the classroom. An unexpected snack or free cup of coffee really goes a long way.”