Sharpen your pencils and dig out your crayons! It’s time for the second annual #ColorOurCollections event.
On February 6-10, the Wangensteen Historical Library — along with other special collections across the country — is sharing color-able works from its rare book collection.
This year’s selections share images from historically significant books in biology and medicine. They include a many-armed beast, a scaly rhinoceros, and even a “cow-hopper” (imagine a mix between a cow and a grasshopper).
“#ColorOurCollections” has been such a successful way to make visible the contents of rare books,” says Wangensteen Curator Lois Hendrickson. “Last year, our #ColorOurCollections article was viewed nearly 15,000 times.”
She explains that because rare books are truly rare, they are often kept behind locked doors. “#ColorOurCollections effectively unlocks the doors of our collection to the world.”
New coloring pages unveiled each day
During February 6-10, the Wangensteen Historical Library will unveil one coloring page each day with an image from its rare book collection. Be sure to check back daily.
Share your work: #ColorOurCollections
All participating artists are encouraged to share their final artwork through social media using the hashtags #ColorOurCollections and #Wangensteen.
“It is not often that curators will allow coloring in their books,” Hendrickson said. “Don’t miss this chance.”
- Manticore (Lion Man) (From The historie of foure-footed beasties by Edward Topsell, 1607)
- Cow-hopper and Friends (From Fortunius Licetus De monstris by Fortunio Liceti, 1665).
- Sea Turtle (From De quadrupedib’ digitatis viviparis libri tres by Ulyssis Aldrovandi 1645).
- Dragon with Babies (From Ulyssis Aldrovandi patricii Bononiensis Serpentum : et draconum historiae libri duo by Ulisse Aldrovandi 1640).
- Rhinoceros (From Of monsters and prodigies by Ambroise Paré 1634.)
- Many-legged Beast (From Of monsters and prodigies by Ambroise Paré 1634.)
- Dragon (From Ulyssis Aldrovandi patricii Bononiensis Serpentum : et draconum historiae libri duo by Ulisse Aldrovandi 1640).
- Fish (From Ulyssis Aldrovandi De piscibus libri v. et de cetis lib. Unus by Ulisse Aldrovandi 1613).
- Download Complete Coloring Book
We had wonderful participation in our #ColorOurCollections activities this week. Here are a few masterpieces from our followers and artists. Please continue to share your finished artwork.