menu

By Mary Blissenbach, Student Supervisor

In Archives and Special Collections, we hire a number of student employees to help in many ways. Student staff work in the Reading Room as a Reading Room monitor to assist researchers as needed. They help to communicate questions researchers may have to the Collecting unit staff. Student staff may also work in our Information Registration desk in 219 helping first time researchers. When they are working in these areas they may have projects from any of the ASC Collecting Units. Student staff may also work within one of the ASC Collecting units to help with paging materials from the stack area, shelving materials when researchers are finished, and helping with data entry for the unit. As you can see, our student staff plays a vital role in the functioning of Archives and Special Collections. This spring we will be losing four of our wonderful student staff due to graduation. I took some time to find out more about them and also find out how working in Archives and Special Collections may have impacted their college experience.

Interview with Lindsey Geyer
Lindsey.jpgLindsey is one of our star student staff that will be graduating this spring. I sat down with her for a short interview to find out more about her.

Name and how long you have worked in Archives and Special Collections ASC?
Lindsey Geyer, I have worked here for about three and a half years. I started during my second semester of freshman year, and never looked back!

What ASC units have you worked for in your time here?
I have staffed the Reading Room and Information/Registration desk, as well as work projects for Children’s Literature Research Collections CLRC. I have also done projects for various units including SWHA, UMJA, YMCA to name a few.

Do you have a favorite memory of working in ASC?

Choosing just one memory out of all of my time here would be unbelievably difficult. I have worked with so many amazing people, and done so many extraordinary things, it would be hard to narrow it down. However if I had to choose, an event that sticks out in my mind would be meeting Kate Dicamillo. Incredible author, and my childhood hero, DiCamillo is a donor to the Children’s Literature Research Collections (CLRC), and the recipient of the 2013 Kerlan Award. I was given a lot of responsibility during the award’s event by CLRC’s curator, Lisa Von Drasek, and as a result, I was able to meet Ms. DiCamillo (and even get a picture with her!)

What is your major and are you nervous about graduating?
I will be graduating with a major in English and a minor in History. It is utterly indescribable how nervous I am to graduate. The social and economic status of the workforce (so I have been told), is in a strange transition, and although I am graduating with more skills than some (thanks in most part to working in ASC), going off on one’s own is still a baffling concept.

What will you be doing after graduation? Do you have a job or internship lined up?
I am still in the process of applying for jobs, so nothing is lined up as of now. Hopefully that status will change soon.

What will you miss most about college?
I think I will miss being surrounded by my peers. Never again will I live in an area where nearly everyone is my age, going through similar life experiences, and being ” just down the street” when you need a friend. College is a completely unique life experience, and I’m going to miss being a part of that.

What would you say is the biggest thing you learned while working in ASC?
Take initiative. I was lucky enough to be given a lot of responsibility at ASC, especially within my unit, CLRC, and from that I really grew up. I learned the importance of a good work ethic, and doing what you are asked to do in a timely fashion, and being thorough in that work will get you far.

If you could live anywhere at all, where would you live and why?
You know this is a question I am still struggling with. On the one hand I love cities. The Twin Cities is one of my favorite places in the world. I can see myself in Chicago, New York, London-wherever the wind takes me. Yet, there is a part of me that would love to have a little cottage with a garden full of vegetables and forests and field nearby. Who knows, maybe I’ll make it big in the city one day and then retire to my green escape.

If you could have super powers, what would you want and why?
To fly! To breathe underwater! Or something more practical like the super power of success. I’d be happy with any (but the first two sound MUCH more fun don’t they).

Interview with Jodie Lawrence
Jodie.jpgJodie is one of our star student staff that will be graduating this spring. I sat down with her for a short interview to find out more about her.

Jodie Lawrence. I have worked here since my freshman year of college.

I have staffed the Reading Room and 219 Information/Registration desk as well as work in some of our units. I work in the Charles Babbage Institute CBI, and Children’s Literature Research Collections CLRC.

I really like all the people I have met while I have worked here. I don’t have a particular favorite memory, but I just have enjoyed getting to know the other student staff and the library collections.

My majors are in nutrition and science writing with an emphasis in biomedical writing. I am nervous about graduating! However, I feel really ready for whatever the real world has to offer.

I am applying to Americorps to serve for one year as a possible veterans organization manager or to help at risk high school students with college applications. I like both of those programs. I am also applying to law schools, but if I get into Americorps, I will be deferring law school applications for one year while I serve.

What will you miss most about college?
I will miss all the student groups I participated in! It is so much fun to get involved and there is so much to do here. During my time here, I really have gotten the chance to participate in some amazing groups and organizations. I will also miss the freedom to take really cool classes, just for the sake of learning things.

It was really fun to learn about the archives and the way an archival library is run. I think this job has given me a lot of useful work habits and resume building material, even though I do not plan to pursue a degree in library sciences. I have also been able to develop my “people” skills and also gained a lot of confidence in the reading room! When I first started, I was scared to enforce rules, but now, I think of it as more of my duty.

I would love to move to Oregon or Colorado because I love hiking, biking, running and being outdoors and those places both have mountains and beautiful scenery, yet also prospering city life.

My super powers would be mind control because then everyone would do what I say all the time!

Mark Engebretson

Author Mark Engebretson

More posts by Mark Engebretson

© 2024 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Privacy Statement | Acceptable Use of IT Resources